Thornton Township High School District 205 schools are going to be closed for remote learning during the 2020 Fall Semester. Each school will have daily meal pickups from 11:30am - 12:30pm. These meal pickups will be available at designated locations and students can pick up the current day’s lunch as well as the next day’s breakfast. These pickup locations are listed here.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Overview
Dear Thornton Township High School District 205 Students, Parents and Staff Members,
The health and safety of our staff and students is our top priority, so we want to share with you information that the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) has published for schools throughout the state.
The IDPH also recommends the best way to protect against coronavirus is by taking the same everyday precautions against getting sick in general. These include:
- Washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick.
- Staying home when you are sick.
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
To see the complete recommendations to schools from IDPH, please click here. We will continue to closely monitor recommendations regarding coronavirus and will update you as soon as there are any significant changes in recommendations for schools. Thank you for your support in helping to keep our school community healthy.
Nathaniel Cunningham Jr., Ph. D, Superintendent of Schools
Comcast Offers Free Internet to District 205 Families!
Comcast has been looking for ways to help families who are in need through their Internet Essentials program, which is the nation’s largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program for low-income Americans. Since 2011, it has connected millions of individuals to the Internet.
A hallmark of this program is Comcast's flexibility in adjusting Internet Essentials to meet the needs of low-income residents around the country. So during this COVID 19 pandemic, they are putting in place two substantial program enhancements to help families deal with this crisis.
They are making it even easier for low-income families who live in a Comcast service area to sign up by offering new customers 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month.
Also, they are increasing Internet speeds for the Internet Essentials service from 15/2 Mbps to 25/3 Mbps for all new and existing customers, which will be the speed of the service going forward. In this way, they are ensuring that Internet Essentials customers will be able to use their Internet service for all their increased needs as a result of this health crisis.
Comcast wants to make it as fast and simple as possible to access this service:
- To receive the increased Internet speeds, existing customers will not need to do anything. The new speeds will be rolled out nationally over the next few days.
- Comcast will send all new customers a free self-install kit that includes a cable modem with a Wi-Fi router. There will be no term contract or credit check and no shipping fee.
- To sign up, applicants can simply visit www.internetessentials.com. The accessible website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language. There are also two dedicated phone numbers 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.
Comcast has been reaching out to thousands of governmental and nonprofit partners to help spread the word. This is a great opportunity for District 205 families! Their hope is that broader access and faster internet speeds will help all Internet Essentials customers more easily work from home, access educational resources, obtain important government health care alerts, and stay in contact with their families during this difficult time. We here at District 205 support and encourage all to take advantage of this important initiative!