Board of Education Public Participation Policy
Public Participation at Board of Education Meetings and Petitions to the Board
At each regular and special open meeting, the members of the public and District employees may comment to or ask questions of the Board of Education, subject to reasonable constraints.
The individuals appearing before the Board are expected to follow these guidelines:
1. Sign the sign-up sheet listing name and topic of discussion.
2. Address the Board only at the appropriate time as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
3. Identify oneself and be brief. Ordinarily, comments shall be limited to 3 minutes. In unusual circumstances, and when an individual has made a request in advance to speak for a longer period of time, the individual may be allowed to speak for more than 3 minutes.
4. The Board President may shorten or lengthen an individual’s opportunity to speak. The President may also deny an individual the opportunity if the individual has previously addressed the Board on the same subject within the past 2 months.
5. The Board President shall have the authority to determine procedural matters regarding public participation not otherwise defined in Board policy.
6. Conduct oneself with respect and civility toward others and otherwise abide by Board policy, 8:30, Visitors to and Conduct on School Property.
Petitions or written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the Board in the next regular Board packet.
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/10-6 and 5/10-16.
CROSS REF.: 2:220 (Board of Education Meeting Procedure), 8:10 (Connection with the Community), 8:30 (Visitors to and Conduct on School Property)
ADOPTED: July 14, 2010
Your Name will not be called if:
You do not sign in and list a topic OR
The topic is not on the current Board agenda OR
If public participation has begun