Board of Education Public Participation Policy
Public Participation at Board of Education Meetings and Petitions to the Board
At each regular and special open meeting, the members of the public and District employees may comment to or ask questions of the Board of Education, subject to reasonable constraints.
The individuals appearing before the Board are expected to follow these guidelines:
- Sign the sign-up sheet listing name and topic of discussion.
- Address the Board only at the appropriate time as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
- Identify oneself and be brief. Ordinarily, comments shall be limited to 3 minutes. In unusual circumstances, and when an individual has made a request in to speak for a longer period of time, the individual may be allowed to speak for more than 3 minutes.
- Observe the Board President’s decision, when necessary and appropriate, to the:
- Shortening of the time for each person to address the Board during public participation to conserve time and give the maximum number of people an opportunity to speak;
- Expansion of the overall minimum of 30 minutes for public participation and/or the 20-minute minimum total length of time for any one subject; and/or
- Determination of procedural matters regarding public participation not otherwise covered in Board policy.
- Conduct oneself with respect and civility toward others and otherwise abide by Board policy, 8:30, Visitors to and Conduct on School Property.
The Board President may shorten or lengthen an individual's opportunity to speak. The President may also deny an individual the opportunity if the individual has previously addressed the Board on the same subject within the past two months.
Petitions or written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the Board in the next regular Board packet.
5 ILCS 120/2.06, Open Meetings Act.
CROSS REF.: 2:220 (Board of Education Meeting Procedure), 8:10 (Connection with the Community), 8:30 (Visitors to and Conduct on School Property)
Adopted: August 10, 2022
Your Name will not be called if:
You do not sign in and list a topic -OR-
The topic is not on the current Board agenda -OR-
If public participation has begun