What are the symptoms of Coronavirus?
Common coronaviruses typically cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illness, and those affected exhibit cold-like symptoms.
The most common symptoms include:
- Sore Throat
- Runny Nose
Some cases of coronavirus can be more severe, and individuals experience more serious lower-respiratory tract illnesses like bronchitis and pneumonia. For the elderly, infants and those with weakened immune systems, coronavirus can be even more dangerous.
How can we prevent infections with Coronavirus and other respiratory diseases?
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus infection. As with any respiratory virus, students and school personnel can protect themselves and others by taking everyday common sense actions:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Illinois Department of Public Health does NOT recommend the use of masks or gloves.1. HANDS Wash them often2. ELBOW Cough into it3. FACE Don't touch it4. FEET Stay more than 3ft apart5. FEEL sick? Stay home