2nd Semester Back-To-School Surveys
As of November 2020, more than 1.33 million people have died worldwide from COVID-19, and there are over 55.3 million confirmed cases globally. Cases continue to rise in Illinois with 599,000 confirmed cases and 11,323 deaths. Therefore, in consideration of the health and safety of the students, staff and community members, critical decisions must be made for reopening Thornton Township High Schools District 205 for the second semester. Input from all District 205 stakeholders is important.
Currently, there is a stay at home advisory for Chicago and suburban Cook County. Under the stay-at-home advisory all residents are encouraged to:
1. Practice social distancing by staying 6 feet away from others and wearing a face covering at all times.
2. Not hold any gatherings at home with anyone outside their household, “even with trusted family or friends”,
use remote communication for the holidays.
4. Avoid all non-essential and out-of-state travel, following the travel guidelines if travel is necessary.
5. Not have guests in their homes unless they are essential workers (e.g., home healthcare providers or
6. Cancel traditional Thanksgiving celebrations.
7. Avoid travel.
Illinois is currently in Phase 4 of the Restore Illinois Plan. District 205 students are able to return to school for in-person learning.
In Phase 4, the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) and the Department of Public Health (IDPH) require that:
a. Masks or face shields will be required to be worn by all faculty, staff and students.
b. Social distancing protocols must be followed.
c. Extensive cleaning will occur throughout the day and in the evening.
d. Large group gatherings or activities over 50 people are not allowed to meet. WHICH INCLUDES: no assemblies, dances, or sports activities.
Please note that these requirements may change by the time school resumes, and District 205 will continue to update the Return to School plan as ISBE/IDPH guidance evolves.
South Suburban College has already determined that remote learning will continue through Spring 2021. Therefore, staff and students of Outlook Academy (which resides on their campus), will be continuing remote learning through June 2021.
Please answer the following questions regarding the start of second semester by Tuesday, November 24th.