Thornwood is a place where all students:
} are given the opportunity to learn in a safe and nurturing environment.
} collaborate with faculty and staff in a culture of EXCELLENCE, RESPECT and PRIDE .
} are provided the tools to learn, to think, to solve problems and to make thoughtful decisions.
} are prepared for their post secondary future in the community and the global society.
Thornwood High School will provide challenging learning opportunities in a safe and supportive environment in which high expectations are established. Our aim is for students to acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to become lifelong learners who responsibly and productively influence our world.
• School leadership and primary caregivers will engage in regular communication to provide mutual supports and guidance between home and school for all aspects of student learning.
• Instructional teams review student learning data (academic, physical, social, emotional, and behavioral) to assess and make decisions about curriculum and instructional strategies.
• The school culture supports teachers in practicing effective and responsive instruction to meet individual student needs.
• Professional development for the whole faculty will include assessment of strengths and areas in need of improvement from classroom observations of indicators of effective teaching.
• The leadership team will monitor school-level student learning data.
• Instructional teams will use student learning data to plan instruction.
• The school's leadership team will regularly look at school performance data and aggregated classroom observation data and use that data to make decisions about school improvement and professional development.
Mapping the Road to Excellence