Executive Director of Curriculum & Instruction
Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. Brett Fickes
Welcome to the Department of Innovative Curriculum and Instruction of Thornton Township High Schools District 205!
The Department is led by Mr. Brett Fickes who has been in the District 205 family for 27 years. He started as a teacher in the Social Sciences Department at Thornton and moved up to Department Chair. He has spent the last 13 years as an administrator – six of those as an Area Instructional Leader in the Social Sciences Department and seven in his current role.
District 205 offers an extensive and thorough curriculum to meet the needs of our students with a variety of options in the core areas of Math, English, Science, and Social Studies, as well as vocational programs such as The Machine Shop, Fashion Design, Fine Arts, and Truck and Diesel Technology Powered by Navistar, and Drivers Education.
Curriculum and Instruction and External Funding responsibilities include:
- Curriculum Development and Renewal
- Curriculum Handbook
- Professional Development
- New Teacher and Mentor Programs
- Curriculum and Instruction in All Content Areas
- Advanced Placement (AP) Program
- Federal and State Grant Programs
- All College and Career Programs
- Assessment and Data Analysis
- ALICE training (Violent Intruder Readiness Training)
District 205 aims to provide a relevant, and a current curriculum to prepare our students for a challenging future. Our curriculum exceeds state requirements and aims to be second to none.
Through the tireless effort of our students and staff, District 205 has implemented innovative initiatives including:
- International Baccalaureate Program (IB)
- Advancement Placement (AP)
- Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
- Project Lead the Way Engineering program
- Pre-Pharmacy program with South Suburban College and the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Entrepreneurial program with the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Truck & Diesel Technology Powered By Navistar
- Outlook Academy
- PEACE Center
District 205 also has alternative programs including Outlook Academy and PEACE Center. Outlook is led by Ms. Patricia Malopsy-Fortier who also spearheads Summer School and Credit Recovery. PEACE Center is led by Mr. Tyran Cox-Bey and Ms. Hanifah Ross.
Our most recent efforts to enrich our curriculum has been through partnerships such as:
- The Thoughtful Classroom with Silver Strong & Associates which is a comprehensive system for observing, evaluating, and refining classroom practice.
- Learning Window is a framework for transforming complex standards into classroom-level learning goals—specifically, knowledge goals, understanding goals, skill-acquisition goals, and dispositional goals/habits of mind.
- Vocabulary.com combines the world’s strongest dictionary with an adaptive learning game that will allow teachers and students alike to master new words and enhance their vocabulary.
- The Family Centered Educational Agency
I look forward to continuing my due diligence in new programs and initiatives for the success of our students!
Here’s to a great year,
Mr. Brett Fickes
Executive Director - Department of Innovative Curriculum and Instruction