Dear Parents and Community Members:
I hope this message finds you and your families safe and well. Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker announced that remote learning; in Illinois, can be extended to the fall of the 2020 school year in order to slow down the spread of COVID-19. During this time, on-site learning will remain suspended during the fall of 2020, but our schools’ commitment to learning and education will remain open and learning will continue for all students - just through a different format.
While it is not ideal, we want to assure you that at Thornton Township High School District 205, our teachers and staff are fully engaged and willing to take on this new challenge and push forward with remote learning, engaging with students and continue with our food distribution program. I know this is not the start of the school year that any of us imagined, but I want to thank you for your patience and understanding…as we have dealt with this unprecedented situation together.
As a recap, here are the three priorities for our leadership and planning moving forward:
- Priority 1 - Feed and care for the extended safety, health, and welfare of students, families, non-student children, staff, and community at large.
- Priority 2 - Communicate clearly; share coherent, organized and controlled messages with your staff, students and community.
- Priority 3 - Provide for the continuity of learning in Illinois It’s important we continue to work together and support our students.
Students who do not have access to a device with internet access are eligible to receive a Google Chromebook to partake in E-Learning at their building. Please see each school’s Chromebook Distribution plan if you fall into this category. The first day of school begins on Wednesday, August 19th! Please see the Chromebook Distribution page to see your school's plan on giving out Google Chromebooks!
To those who do not have internet access, Comcast wants to make it as fast and simple as possible to access this service:
- To receive the increased Internet speeds, existing customers will not need to do anything. The new speeds will be rolled out nationally over the next few days.
- Comcast will send all new customers a free self-install kit that includes a cable modem with a Wi-Fi router. There will be no term contract or credit check and no shipping fee.
- To sign up, applicants can simply visit www.internetessentials.com. The accessible website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language. There are also two dedicated phone numbers 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish