Area Instructional Leader- Cindy Morris708-225-4785The science curriculum is oriented toward investigative processes designed to meet the individual student’s needs and abilities. Through a variety of learning experiences, students are encouraged to engage in scientific inquiry to observe scientific principles that are established through careful observation; weigh facts and arrive at valid conclusions; appreciate the historical contributions of scientists; and recognize that science does not consist merely of facts and dogma, but that it is an exciting, dynamic process!
The goals of the science department are that students will:
- Perform the inquiry process of science as a system of knowing that involves:
- the recognition and formulation of a problem,
- the collection of data through observation and experimentation, and
- the formulation and testing of hypotheses.
- Use scientific models and theories to explain the concepts and principles of life, chemical, physical, earth, and/or space sciences.
- Understand how science is incorporated into the human experiences of history, society, culture, politics, and technology.